I was in Ace Hardware at Tenleytown just looking around. I spotted what seemed like a DragonScale Alocasia, but different. I made my way closer and ruled out DragonScale, immediately thought Silver Dragon, but perished the thought. It was in my hands. The pot itself was different. This plant and what a name. Really, a plant named Rumpelstiltskin? How cool is that. I had to have it. And to be an Alocasia with such a complicated name. Let this gorgeous plant spin straw into gold in your home. Ok, maybe not gold, but you will be living life like it's golden by adding this Once Upon a Time classic, Rumpelstiltskin to your Alocasia Collection. I absolutely love him!
Mythic® Rumpelstiltskin™ Elephant Ear Alocasia hybrid
Select any icon above to view the complete collection.
Learn more about Proven Winners® leafjoy® houseplants
12 - 16 Inches0 -0 -30cm - 41cm0cm0cm
Once upon a time, there was an alocasia named Mythic ‘Rumpelstiltskin’. It had thick, heavily-textured leaves in mottled shades of medium-to-dark green. Leaves were as dramatically wrinkled and crinkled as its mischievous namesake, written about by Brothers Grimm, Rumpelstiltskin. Whereas this ‘Rumpelstiltskin’ won’t be able to spin straw into gold, it will charm you with its enchanting beauty and bring storybook intrigue into your home.Adaptable As HouseplantFoliage InterestHarmful To:Pets
CharacteristicsPlant Type:HouseplantHeight Category:MediumHeight:12 - 16 Inches 30cm - 41cmFoliage Colors:GreenFoliage Shade:Emerald GreenHabit:UprightContainer Role:Thriller
Plant NeedsLight Requirement:Medium
Low - No direct sun, not near a window. Medium - Medium bright indirect light in the AM or PM, typically from an east or west window. High - Bright direct or indirect light for much of the day, typically from a south window.Maintenance Category:ModeratePreferred Temperature:60 - 85 °FWater Category:AverageHumidity Preference:HighContainer Soil Type:Indoor Potting MixNeeds Good DrainageUses:Bright SpacesUses:DesktopsUses:Humid SpacesUses Notes:
Not for human or animal consumption.Maintenance Notes:
- For optimal performance, keep your Alocasia at 60-85°F (15-29°C). Alocasias are sensitive to cold drafts and temperatures below 60°F (15°C), which can cause leaf drop and diminished growth.
- Alocasias perform best in bright, indirect light or filtered sunlight. Avoid placing them in direct sunlight, as it can lead to leaf scorch.
- Alocasias appreciate higher humidity, so break out that humidifier. Alternatively, you can mist your Alocasia or place it on a pebble tray with water.
- Alocasias prefer to be consistently moist, but not wet, and above all, they need to have good drainage. As such, water your Alocasia thoroughly when the top inch of soil feels dry. Ensure good drainage and do not allow your Alocasia to sit in water, as they are susceptible to root rot.
- Feed your Alocasia once per month at half strength when it is actively growing. In the winter, it may go into a dormant state and not put out many leaves. If no new leaves are growing, it does not need to be fertilized.
- Protect furniture when watering & fertilizing.
- Alocasias appreciate a chunky, well-aerated soil. You can use an all-purpose potting mix, with additional orchid bark and perlite added to ensure your Alocasia has good drainage and plenty of nutrients.
- If your Alocasia drops its leaves, don't give up! They grow from bulb-like corms and can sprout new leaves under the right conditions. These plants like very consistent conditions, overall, when it comes to watering, temperature, and light, and they need to have good drainage.
514321Browse reviews from people who have grown this plant.
15 More in this series
Carlos Morales, District Of Columbia, United States, 35 weeks ago