10 Back to Basics Gardening Topics to Ensure Success
Whether you are an experienced gardener or just beginning, it never hurts to review the basics. Please find below links to videos and articles that cover a wide range of gardening basics, this information will tell you everything you need in order to grow a great garden.
- Exposure: What Does Full Sun or Part Shade Mean? will help you better understand the full range of exposure options and the impact your location has on these definitions.
- Plant Zones: Zoning In on Hardiness delves into how to determine whether a plant is hardy for you.
- Water: Watering Container Plants and Should I Water or Is It Going to Rain? details best practices for watering container plants and garden beds.
- Plant Food: Feed Me, Seymour covers the ins and outs of feeding your plants.
- Soil: The Dirt on Dirt is our series of articles that discusses different types of soil. Soil isn’t a simple or straight forward topic, so more than one article is needed to cover everything. Links to the other soil articles are included at the bottom of each article.
- Compost: Garden Gold is all about the basics of composting while Garden Gold, Again delves even deeper into this topic.
- Deadheading: To Deadhead or Not to Deadhead explains what deadheading is, why it is important and which plants need deadheading.
- Pruning: Pruning Demystified is a great basic guide to pruning shrubs. However, this four-part series
adds depth and details about this important task. Each article links to the next one in the series. It’s a great resource – one I consult regularly.
- Seed Planting: This video covers the ins and outs of starting seeds.
- Gardening Terminology: Dictionary of Gardening Terms is a handy guide if you aren’t sure exactly what certain gardening terms mean.
Explore Landscape Designs on Pinterest.
Learn about New Plants for 2021 with Jenny from Creekside Nursery.