Meet the 2018 Annual of the Year™
Over 5,600 people nominated Supertunia® Bordeaux™ for the highest award offered by Proven Winners: Annual of the Year. It solidified what we already knew: this is one of the most striking, easiest-to-grow petunias you’ll find for containers and landscapes. Find out why it’s become such a longstanding favorite.
2018 Annual of the Year™: Supertunia® Bordeaux™ Petunia
What’s so super about Supertunia Bordeaux? Whether you’re looking to add a mass of color to your garden beds or create impressive containers with curb appeal, Supertunia® Bordeaux is an ideal choice for your sunny landscape. You’ll be amazed how green your thumbs are when you grow this vigorous, reliable plant.
Home gardener Judy Young offered this high praise for Supertunia Bordeaux in her garden: “I planted Supertunia Bordeaux in the containers on each side of my front portico. I used it last year and again this year. It is just a gorgeous plant. It looks great with the purple coneflowers and black-eyed Susans that line my walkway. It just doesn't know when to quit and is probably the best petunia I've ever owned.”
- Masses of two-toned purple flowers with dark veining
- Non-stop bloom from planting time to frost
- Self-cleaning flowers—NO deadheading needed
- Versatility of use in containers and landscapes
- Excellent vigor and disease resistance
- Measures 6-12” tall x 18-24” wide, trailing up to 30” long
Sunlight, water and plant food are the three main things your Supertunia Bordeaux petunias will need to thrive all season long. If you provide all three consistently, both you and your plants will be very happy. Water it before it wilts, and include water soluble plant food every third time you water.
Unlike many older petunias, Supertunia Bordeaux does not require deadheading (the removal of spent flowers) to keep on blooming from spring into fall. Giving it a light trim in midsummer and late summer will stimulate new growth and result in fuller plants. Find more detailed care information here.
How does the National Plant of the Year program work?
With so many new plants being introduced each year, picking out the best for your garden can be a mindboggling experience. Gardeners want beautiful plants that will live up to their picture in the catalog, and retailers want to offer reliable plants with which their customers will experience success. With that aim in mind, we’ve launched a new National Plant of the Year program.
Candidates for the Annual of the Year™ are judged stringently by growers, retailers and home gardeners against the five criteria described below. They are looking for plants that are easy for everyone to grow and deliver a clearly exceptional garden performance.
- Easy to Grow - Easy for both growers and gardeners to grow. It shouldn’t take an expert to grow beautiful flowers.
- Iconic - Easily recognizable at a glance with an iconic style unmatched by lookalikes
- Readily Available - Easy to find locally or online
- Perfect for Baskets and Containers - Grows beautifully in hanging baskets as well as upright patio containers and window boxes
- Outstanding Landscape Performance - Not just for containers, it also delivers a knockout performance in landscapes
Would you like to have the opportunity to vote for the next plant of the year? Join 175,000 other gardeners who have signed up for our monthly Winner’s Circle newsletter. We will never share your email address with outside parties, and you’ll be given the chance to weigh in on future plants of the year and other fun programs.
Keep up to date on the National Plant of the Year program at www.nationalplantoftheyear.com.